melting asphalt (bitumen) with fire - vietnam


Road construction (Vietnam)

1) put some wood between the barrels of asphalt and start a fire so that the asphalt will melt and become liquid.­ If no wood is available, use anything that can burn, like old tires.­ Bonus points if you can burn something really toxic.­

2) When the asphalt start melting, scoop some at the top and pour it on the wood.­ Asphalt burns well, so this will help melting the rest of the asphalt.­

3) Repeat step 2 until the asphalt in entirely melted in the barrels.­ This will take several hours and produce a really nice plume of toxic smoke.­ If you are lucky, you will only need to burn 30% of your asphalt to melt the rest, so you have 70% asphalt left to spread on the road.­

barrels burning fire flames groundwork hot asphalt hot bitumen macadam mèo vạc pavement paving petroleum road construction roadworks
Route 4B, Mèo Vạc District, Ha Giang, Vietnam

Photos of road construction (Vietnam, Laos, India).­

Those photos are also in my Vietnam photo album, Laos photo album and India photo album.

You can also check these smaller selections of photos on selected subjects:

- Tribe people of Vietnam: A selection of my best photos of Tribe people from Northern Vietnam.­

- Markets of Vietnam.

- Tiết canh (raw blood soup).

- Road construction.

- Spaying a piglet.

- A photo-documentary about eating dog meat for dinner: "Thịt chó" means eating a (hot) dog - literally). But be advised that those are very GRAPHIC photos and not advised for children.­

Photos from of my 30-day trip around Vietnam in November 2005.­

You can also check these smaller selections of photos on selected subjects:

- Tribe people of Vietnam: A selection of my best photos of Tribe people from Northern Vietnam.­

- Markets of Vietnam.

- Tiết canh (raw blood soup).

- Road construction in Vietnam.

- Spaying a piglet.